Since experiencing disappointment, failure, and health issues during my first job, I have been enduring a season of hopelessness. I’ve been doubting my self-worth due to feelings of inferiority and a sense of loss.
A friend once told me to battle negative thoughts with positive truths. “Satan is the Father of lies,” she used to say to me all the time. “God is the Father of truth.”
So, to combat the constant attack of negative thoughts I’ve been battling, I made myself a list of truths. I figured there’s definitely someone else out here who needs to hear these truths as well, so I figured I’d share.
Each truth is followed by a few verses from the Bible that support it, along with a song that reinforces it.
Let us speak the truth in love. Don’t let the enemy have the final say.
Truth 1: I can trust God’s plan. He knows what is best for me.
- “But I trust in Your unfailing Love; my heart rejoices in Your salvation.” -Psalm 13:5
- “Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding, but in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight.” -Proverbs 3:5-6
- “He who began a good work in you will carry it onto completion until the day of Christ Jesus.” -Philippians 1:6
- “And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, those who have been called according to His purpose.” -Romans 8:28
Song: “Nothing I Hold Onto” by Will Reagan & United Pursuit
Truth 2: God loves me. I can be assured of and rest in that love.
- “As the Father has loved Me, so I have loved you. Now remain in My love.” -John 15:9
- “The LORD is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit.” -Psalm 34:18
- “My sheep hear My voice; I know them, and they follow Me. I give them eternal life, and they will never perish- ever! No one can snatch them out of My hand…I and the Father are One.” -John 10:27-30
Song: “Good Good Father” by Chris Tomlin
Truth 3: It’s okay that I don’t “have it all together” and am still learning. God will guide me and teach me. I can rely on His strength- not my own.
- “I am the Vine, and you are the branches. If you remain in Me and I in you, you will bear much fruit. Apart from Me you can do nothing. -John 15:5
- “‘Who is the greatest in the Kingdom of Heaven?’ [Jesus asked]. And calling to Him a child, He put him in the midst of them and said ‘Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like children, you will never enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Whoever humbles himself like this child is greatest in the Kingdom of Heaven.’” -Matthew 18:1-4
- “Therefore, as it is written: Let the one who boasts, boast in the LORD.” -1 Corinthians 1:31
- “The LORD will fight for you- you need only to be still.” -Exodus 14:14
Song: “Be Thou My Vision” and “Nothing But the Blood”
Truth 4: I do not have to rely on my own strength to exercise self-control over negative thoughts and behaviors. I can choose to stay rooted in love and LIVE loved to have victory over them.
- “For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline.” -2 Timothy 1:7
- “I can do all things through Christ Who gives me strength.” -Philippians 4:13
- “Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—His good, pleasing and perfect will.” -Romans 12:1-2
Song: “More than Conquerors” by Rend Collective
Truth 5: My career does not define me. My success does not define me. My failures do not define me. Only God’s Love defines me.
- “Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. 2 Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things. 3 For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God.” -Colossians 3:1-3
- “But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong.” -2 Corinthians 12:9-10
- “No one can serve two masters, for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and money [or success].” -Matthew 6:24
Song: “All I have Is Christ” by Sovereign Grace Music
Truth 6: Other people’s acceptance of me does not define me. How well-liked I am does not define me. The number of friends I have does not define me. How other people perceive me does not define me. Only God’s Love defines me.
- “Am I now trying to win the approval of human beings, or of God? Or am I trying to please people? If I were still trying to please people, I would not be a servant of Christ.” -Galatians 1:10
- “The fear of man lays a snare, but whoever trusts in the Lord is safe.” -Proverbs 29:25
- “How can you believe, when you receive glory from one another and do not seek the glory that comes from the only God?” -John 5:44
- “The Lord does not look at the things people look at. People look at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.” -1 Samuel 16:7
Song: “Who Am I?” by Casting Crowns
Truth 7: I am loved, cherished, precious, and valued more than I can understand. I am a child of God.
- “You knit me together in my mother’s womb…I will give thanks to You for I am fearfully and wonderfully made.” -Psalm 139:13-14
- “But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.” -Romans 5:8
- “But to all who did receive him, who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God.” -John 1:12
- “I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me.” -Galatians 2:20
Song: “Wonderfully Made” by Ellie Holcomb